- Superintendent's Office
- School Board
- Hot Links
IJNDC-R/SCHOOL SYSTEM WEBSITE GUIDELINES
MSAD #11 WEBSITE GUIDELINES
A. Website Purpose
The purpose of the MSAD #11 website to provide general information about our school system, as well as information about educational programs, extracurricular activities and school events. The website is intended to support the educational mission of the schools, to enhance the curriculum and learning opportunities for students and staff, and to inform the extended community about our schools. The website is an outlet for official messages of MSAD #11, and is not a forum for dissemination of other views. The content of the website shall remain in the exclusive control of MSAD #11, and its School Board and designated agents.
B. Website Structure
The website includes the following content areas:
1. System-wide information (such as Superintendent’s Office, Technology, Transportation, Facilities, Food Service);
2. School Board information (such as members, officers, committees, meeting agendas and minutes, budget, and policies);
3. School-wide information for each school;
4. Individual department, grade level and/or classroom information (which may
student work and/or teacher-created work and resources);
5. Information about school-sponsored extracurricular organizations;
6. Information about school events and activities; and
7. Contact information for School Board members and school staff.
8. Official positions of the School Board on school-related issues.
C. School Unit Authority and Webmaster Responsibilities
MSAD #11 School District reserves the right to approve all website content and to edit, delete, or modify any web page content as it sees fit to comply with the intended purposes of the website and these guidelines. The Superintendent shall designate a Webmaster, who is responsible for maintaining the website, approving all material to be posted on the site, and monitoring all website activities for compliance with Board policies, applicable laws and regulations, and these guidelines. All position statements and viewpoints published on the website related to school policy, governance and initiatives must be approved by the MSAD #11 School Board or its designee. Only the Webmaster and other authorized school staff shall have password-protected access to the web server to place and remove web pages and content.
D. Website Content
MSAD #11’s website does not create, nor is it intended to create, a public or limited public forum. All materials placed on the website must serve the educational mission of the school and shall support the MSAD #11’s official views regarding how best to accomplish the educational mission of the school.
1. Website content is limited to school-sponsored information and activities. No personal student or staff web pages are permitted on the website.
2. Web page content must comply with MSAD #11 Board policies, administrative procedures and school rules.
3. All materials placed on the website must be appropriate for website and meet academic standard for proper spelling, grammar, content, accuracy and appearance.
4. Student website content may include artifacts of learning such as ePortfolios, student multimedia content, and other web tools. If the Webmaster is unsure whether particular material is appropriate for the website, he/she shall consult with the Superintendent, whose decision shall be final.
E. Confidentiality of Student Information
1. The website shall be in compliance with all applicable State and Federal
Confidentiality laws and regulations.
2. At no time shall personal information about students (such as home address, telephone
number, e-mail address, birth date, social security number, etc.) or any other information made confidential by State of Federal law appear on the website. The website will not include any information that indicates the physical location of students at any given time, other than attendance at a particular school or participation in school activities.
3. Student information, photographs or work may only be published on the website if the
student’s parent/guardian has signed the Parent/Guardian Agreement Form to Publish
Student Information. For purposes of these guidelines, student information includes
name, class rosters, awards/honors received, and team/extracurricular activity
participation lists. Schools must obtain prior written consent from parents before
posting student information on their website or elsewhere on the Internet
F. Confidentiality of Staff Information
1. At no time shall personal information about staff appear on the website (including home address, home telephone number, home e-mail address, birth date, social security number, etc.).
2. Because the school district’s website is maintained in part to enhance communication with students and their families, the school e-mail addresses and/or telephone numbers of staff are published on the website.
1. Appropriate permission will be obtained before any copyrighted or trademarked material is used on the website. No copyrighted material may be reproduced, transmitted or stored on MSAD #11’s website without obtaining permission from the copyright owner.
2. Students shall retain the copyright on materials that they create.
3. An appropriate copyright notice will appear with all copyrighted material published on the website.
4. Except for the above exceptions, all web pages and content on the website are the property of and owned by MSAD #11 School District.
H. Website Design and Accessibility
1. The Webmaster is authorized to develop standards for the design and appearance of MSAD #11’s website. These standards will include measures to make web pages accessible to persons with disabilities. School district information available on the website will also be made available to the public in alternative ways upon request.
1. The MSAD #11’s website will not include any advertising, nor will it include any selling activities outside of publicity for school-sponsored and/or approved fundraising activities.
J. Links to External Site
1. The MSAD #11’s website will not include links to any personal websites of students or staff.
2. The website may include links only to websites that have demonstrated educational value to students, staff and/or the community, as deemed appropriate by the Webmaster.
3. The website shall include a disclaimer informing users that links are provided as a convenience, and that MSAD #11 School District does not endorse these sites or have any responsibility for the content of these sites.
K. Additional Requirements
1. The website shall inform users about how to contact the Webmaster.
2. The Webmaster will provide appropriate information to school users regarding technical requirements for publishing material on the website.
Cross Reference: IJNDC- MSAD #11 Website
Adopted: June 3, 2004
Revised: May 3, 2007; June 2, 2011